Friday, June 22, 2012

Give Attendance to Reading

I Timothy 4:13 – “Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.”

In the above text, Paul the aged minister is writing to Timothy the young minister, admonishing him to give attendance to reading, exhortation, and doctrine. I would like to provide, for whatever it may be worth, some instructions to Christians in general, but especially to ministers, regarding reading books.

It is a good thing for Christians and ministers to be readers of good literature. I have heard ministers boast of neglecting to read anything outside of the Bible. While this may sound spiritual to some, I fail to see the spirituality in it. Solomon wisely declared that a wise man will hear, and will increase learning (Proverbs 1:5). Some ministers boast of getting their doctrine solely from the Bible, without any help from any author. I heard one minister say, “My library has only sixty-six books!” These same ministers, however, preach to their people the importance of going to church and being taught. Why is it okay for me to be taught from a man speaking from behind a pulpit, but it is not okay for me to be taught from a man presenting his teaching in the form of a written publication?

Make no mistake about it – caution does need to be exercised when reading literature of any kind. So, I would like to present some “rules for readers.” If you are going to read from sources outside the Bible, here are some guidelines to consider.

#1 – The Bible is Supreme
Fall in love with the Bible! No amount of books can compare to the Bible. I advise new converts and young preachers to read extra-biblical sources very little. It is good for young Christians and young preachers to soak themselves in the Bible, under the leadership of a good pastor, in a good Bible-believing church. Other than reference books (a good dictionary, a concordance, and a Bible dictionary – but not commentaries), do not read sources outside of the Bible until you know what you believe, why you believe it, and until you are sure that reading a different viewpoint will not turn you away from the fundamentals of the faith. When you come to the place that you are ready to read other material than the Bible, never let your time reading ABOUT THE BIBLE replace your time reading the Bible itself.

#2 – A “Good” Library is Better than a “Big” Library
Many young Christians, especially young ministers, when they set out to have their own library, try to build a large library. AVOID THIS! Get books you will actually read. Ask your pastor which authors he can recommend. Bro. Ralph Cox once said that a preacher does not need a big library; just a good one! I would rather have a handful of good, solid books that occupy just one shelf of a bookcase, as to have rooms filled with junk. Do not fall into the trap of buying books for the sake of showing off a large library to your guests.

#3 – Remember that Your Favorite Author is Human
As you begin to read after different authors, you will develop favorite authors. This is fine as long as you never forget that any author you read after is human, and has the capability of being wrong in his opinion. Never develop the attitude that something is truth just because your favorite author believes it. I have several authors that I consider to be my favorites. However, there is no author in my library with whose opinions I agree completely. Do not lose the ability to think for yourself. Do not be afraid to read a book, and say to yourself, “I do not agree with that.” Any author has the capability of being wrong. If you believe everything you read, then stay with the Bible. You can believe everything it says.

#4 – Read a Variety of Subjects
When it comes to reading, do not get in a rut! Read books that cover a variety of subjects. While it is perfectly fine to have a favorite subject to read, venture out into other subjects. Read books that provoke you to pray. Read books that cause you to study the Bible deeper. Read books that cover subjects about which you are passionate. Read books that deal with prophecy. Read books that deal with different aspects of salvation. Read books that cover the great doctrines of the Bible. Read biographies of great Christian men and women. Read missionary narratives. There is too much edifying literature out there to read the same subject all the time!

#5 – Read a Variety of Authors
Personally, I prefer used books over new. I like the old authors much better than contemporary authors. I like Louis Albert Banks, Harry A. Ironside, B.H. Carroll, Vance Havner, Jack Hyles, and many others. But occasionally, when perusing through books at a used book store, I’ll come across a book by an author of which I have never heard. If it appears by thumbing through the book that the author believed in the fundamentals of the faith, I often purchase the book. I have found great authors that I otherwise would have missed.

#6 – Redeem the Time with Reading
We live in a very busy time. There is so much to do. Perhaps the reader says, “I do not have time to read much.” Make time. There is a good chance that you will find yourself in a waiting room of some kind in the next month or so. Instead of inspecting worldly magazines for something worthwhile to read, bring something good to read. As for me, I always have my Bible, as well as something else to read. If I find myself waiting, I read.

#7 – Magazines, Periodicals, Newspapers, Etc.
For a very low price, you can subscribe to good periodicals. Find a few periodicals that are sound in doctrine. By reading periodicals, you will be subjecting yourself to various subjects and authors. My personal favorite periodical is the Sword of the Lord. It is an independent, fundamental, Christian publication. As for secular newspapers and magazines, caution should be exercised. Personally, I subscribe to no secular magazine or newspaper. Of course, there is nothing wrong with many secular magazines, but as Christians and ministers, there is enough Christian material out there to waste time and money with much else.

#8 – Read Authors with Whom You Disagree
Again, I stress that it is very important that you know what you believe and why you believe it before you do much reading at all. But it is good to read after authors with whom you disagree. By reading someone with a differing viewpoint with my own, I am accomplishing some things. First, I am learning! The fact is this: we do not learn much by reading only after those who agree with us! Second, those who disagree with me are giving me reasons why they disagree with me. When I see their reasons for their beliefs, I can make a stronger argument against their teaching when I teach or preach. There are few things worse than a minister trying to slam the Jehovah’s Witnesses, but in doing so, he makes it clear that he doesn’t even know what they believe. In my library, I have literature from organizations that are far from fundamental. I have some of their literature so I can accurately represent them when I speak of what they believe. Third, even though I disagree with the author on a position, the author may have something good to say, which brings me to my next point.

#9 – Learn to Eat the Fish, and Throw Away the Bones
If I am reading a good book when I stumble upon a sentence with which I disagree, I do not throw the book in the trash. As I stated previously, there is no author, minister, preacher, or teacher with whom I agree completely. You may be someone who keeps up with my blog posts, and you may think you agree with everything I say. But I promise you, if we sat down and talked for a while, there would be a verse of scripture that you will see differently than me. But I won’t plug my ears to what you have to say. Even though you may not agree with me on everything, you may say many things from which I can glean. As the saying goes, “Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.” If the author you are reading disagrees with you on one point, but much of what he says is good, glean from the good and ignore the bad. Look at it this way – what if people quit listening to what YOU have to say because they disagree with one point you make? The fact is that you would have no audience.

#10 – Be a Regular Reader of this Blog!
In all your reading, don’t forget to read my blog! Read it regularly! Subscribe to my posts. There are posts covering many Biblical subjects. Conservative, fundamental, and Bible-believing to the core, I have tried to present the Bible in a way understandable to the reader. Give me feedback. I love to hear from readers. Thanks to everyone who drops me a line to let me know you are reading! As long as you keep reading, I’ll keep writing.