Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Counting My Blessings

The way to be thankful is to be “thinkful.” Dr. Curtis Hutson said, “The more you think, the more thankful you will be. So, the folks who are not thankful don’t think much.” I have been thinking, and it has prompted me to give thanks. Allow me to briefly give a few things in life for which I sincerely thank God.

  1. First and foremost, I am thankful for the salvation of my soul. Along with this, let me say that I am thankful that, when I was lost, I learned the truth regarding salvation. You can ask the next ten people how to be saved and go to heaven, and you will get fifteen different answers. Some say that observing sacraments is the way to be saved (and even then, you do not know for sure whether or not salvation has been attained). Others say that salvation is a process of saying a prayer, being baptized, and joining a certain church. Others say that one must repent of one’s sins, be baptized, and speak in tongues in order to be saved. Some cling to law-keeping, commandment-keeping, and a system of good works for salvation. There are many churches, but very few know soup beans from apple butter about the Biblical manner of salvation. I am thankful that, as a boy, I attended a church that preached the unadulterated gospel of Jesus Christ. That pastor preached that all that was needed to secure my salvation was provided by Jesus Christ. He preached that I could perform no single work of my own to receive salvation; I must fully trust Christ’s finished work to be saved. I placed all my faith in Jesus Christ, and because of His shed blood, my sins are paid in full. The moment I placed my faith in Christ, I “believed on Jesus Christ” and was saved in a moment’s time! My salvation is solely in Jesus Christ! Christ is my Saviour! In the word of God, Jesus said, “He that believeth on me hath everlasting life” (John 6:47). John the Baptist said, “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life” (John 3:36). John the apostle said, “But these are written that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name” (John 20:31). Peter said, “Whosoever believeth in Him shall receive remission of sins” (Acts 10:43). Paul said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved” (Acts 16:31). The only way I could die today and not be saved is if the word of God is false or if the blood of Jesus Christ turns out to be insufficient. That’s why I won’t lose any sleep tonight worrying about my salvation! I thank God for His unspeakable gift!
  2. I am thankful for the assurance of salvation. I won’t spend a lot of time here, but I must speak of it. I am thankful that, not only am I saved, but I know it! When God blessed me with salvation, He also blessed me with a good dose of assurance! Suppose an angel was to come to me tonight and say, “Bob, I just came from heaven. I just looked into the Lamb’s book of life, and your name is not found there.” I have all the right in the world to look that angel in the eye and tell him that he doesn’t know what he’s talking about! God’s word says I’m saved! If an angel from heaven tells me otherwise, I am instructed by scripture to let that angel be accursed (Galatians 1:8)! I’m not only saved by the grace of God, but I know it, and there’s not an angel from heaven or a devil from hell that can convince me otherwise.
  3. I am thankful that God has met every material need in my life. I have a comfortable place to live. Every time I am hungry, I always have plenty to eat. I do not know what it is to have to go to bed hungry. When I wake up in the mornings, I have plenty of clean clothes from which to choose to wear. On Sunday mornings, it is not an issue of whether or not I have a suit to wear, but which suit I wear becomes the question. I must decide if I will wear a brown pair of dress shoes or a black pair. When it is time to go somewhere, I have a vehicle to drive (that is paid for). When bills are due, I have always been able to sit down and write a (good) check to pay for them!
  4. I am thankful for friends and family. Having attended many funerals and conducted many of them, I know how fragile life can be. I know firsthand that just because someone in my family is here this year is no indication that they will be here next year. It may be dismal, but it makes me thankful for the friends and family in my life.
  5. I am thankful that both my parents are yet living. I know of some who have buried a parent who was younger than my parents are. I hate that anyone has ever had to bury their parents, but I am thankful that my parents are alive and well.
  6. I am thankful for my health. I do not have congestive heart failure; I do not have diabetes; I do not have high cholesterol; I do not have a terminal illness. I have a strong heart and strong lungs. Again, I know that I am better than no one who may not be as blessed in the area of health. But I am compelled to stop and give thanks to the One who sustains me.
  7. I am thankful for my physical senses. I am glad that when I open my eyes, I can see. I am thankful that I am able to walk and talk. Though it is impaired, I thank God for my hearing. As I type this, I am enjoying instrumental music. Not everyone is able to enjoy the gift of sound. I would be sinning to enjoy the use of my ears without thanking God.
  8. I am thankful for my congregation. Serving as pastor has its challenges, but it sure makes it easier when you have good people to pastor.
  9. I am thankful for my library. I own a good collection of books. I do not know how many I have because I am always buying them. I have a good collection of books on my shelves, books on my laptop, and books on my Kindle Fire. Among the genres of books I have are commentary, reference, history, biography, sermon books, and a small handful of fiction. If all I had was a Bible, there’s no doubt I would enjoy good fellowship with God. But how my life has been enriched because of good reading material!
  10. I am thankful for Facebook. It has been a source of blessing in my life. Because of Facebook, I have been able to connect with people from the past; many of which I would have most likely never seen or heard from again. It has been a blessing to connect with former classmates, former teachers, and people whom I have met in my travels. It has been a blessing to keep up with the lives of many friends through the means of Facebook.

There are many other blessings for which I could give thanks. But for the sake of time, I will conclude. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Psalm 100:4 – “Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.”