Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Soul-Winner's Message - Salvation

If we are going to win souls, we must have the right message. Our message is the gospel of Jesus Christ. We preach Christ crucified. We preach that man is sinful, Christ is sinless, and that He lived and died to save sinners. We preach that salvation is for ALL who will come.

What about salvation? There are characteristics of salvation that must be realized. First, allow me to define what salvation IS NOT. It is not by grace alone. The Bible says in Titus 2:11 - "For the grace of God which bringeth salvation hath appeared unto ALL men." If grace is all that is necessary to be saved, then the entire world will be saved, for His grace has appeared to ALL. Although some teach it, the Bible does not teach that the whole world will be saved.

Furthermore, salvation is not by works alone. Titus 3:5 states, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us..." Man cannot be saved by his own works. No works that we can do will be sufficient to save us on the great Day of Judgment.

In addition to this, salvation is not by grace and works together. Notice Romans 11:6 - "And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work." Very clearly, salvation has to be either by grace, or by works, but it cannot be by both. Some teach that salvation is by grace at the altar and by works when you get up. It cannot be this way. If works cannot get you saved, how can works keep you saved? One may say, "Oh, but the Bible says 'work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.'" There are a couple things about that. First, I can't work out a cabbage patch if I don't have one! God has to give me salvation before I can "work it out." Secondly, one must understand that "work out your salvation" is different than "work for your salvation." When I "work out" my salvation, I am simply putting to work what I have already received. I am not working in order to receive. Salvation is not by works, but salvation works.

So, salvation is not by grace alone. Nor is it by works alone. Nor is it by grace and works together. It is not grace first then works. I am not saved by grace then kept by works. So, what are the characteristics of salvation? Ephesians 2:8 and 9 defines it perfectly - "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Salvation is by grace, through faith. The act of God showing grace to me is not enough. I must have faith. Faith is simply believing. It is not merely believing in God's existence. Devils believe this way, and they tremble. It is not just believing that Jesus died on the cross. It is believing to the saving of the soul. It is TRUSTING Jesus with my soul. I rest in what He did on the cross for my salvation. I trust His blood to cleanse me from sin, and I lean on nothing else. "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness."

Many verses in the New Testament tell us that believing, or placing faith in Christ, is ALL that is necessary to be saved. A few of these verses are John 1:12; John 3:15-18; John 3:36; John 5:24; John 6:35, 40, 47; John 7:38; John 8:24; John 11:25; John 12:46; John 20:31; Acts 8:36, 37; Acts 10:43; Acts 13:39; Acts 16:30, 31; Romans 1:16; Romans 3:22, 26; Romans 4:5; Romans 10:4. That's 26 New Testament verses that state clearly that believing brings life to the one who is dead in trespasses and sins.

Now, what about other verses that speak of "repentance?" In Luke 13:3 and Luke 13:5 Jesus said, "Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." Repentance is, by definition, a change of mind. A person changes his mind and heart when he repents. Some preach repentance as changing one's lifestyle. But it is not a lifestyle change. I can quit smoking, drinking, cursing, and everything other evil thing I do and be just as lost as anyone. Repentance is a change from resisting God to believing God. When I truly repent, I change my mind about Christ. Rather than just respecting Him, I determine to follow Him. Rather than resist Him, I believe Him. Repentance is a change toward BELIEVING. Believing is at the heart of repentance. This is why Jesus preached in Mark 1:15, "Repent ye, and believe the gospel."

Now, what about Romans 10:13? This verse states, "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." "See," you may say, "believing is not enough. One must pray." Calling upon the name of the Lord only works under one condition. The next verse, Romans 10:14, states, "How then shall they call on him in whom they have not BELIEVED?" There it is. If I do not believe, I can call on the Lord all day and be lost. Salvation hinges on FAITH TOWARD GOD. It is believing, not saying words. This is why there is no "sinner's prayer" in the Bible. When the publican in the temple was justified, he prayed, "God be merciful to me a sinner." When the thief on the cross was justified, he prayed, "Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom." When Saul of Tarsus was justified, he prayed, "Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?" These prayers are very short, and different from each other in terms of their wording. This is because salvation does not hinge on what comes out of my mouth, but what is taking place in my heart. "BELIEVE ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AND THOU SHALT BE SAVED, AND THY HOUSE!"

Salvation is simple once we get this straight. Soul-winning is easier once we understand how to be saved exactly.