Tuesday, October 19, 2010

If You Are Kept by Works, I Have Questions!

In the previous post (it would benefit the reader to read the previous post, “The Perverted Gospel” before reading this one), I showed extensively how the Galatians were a people bewitched by a perverted gospel. That perverted gospel was not a new gospel presented to them by the Jehovah’s Witnesses; it was not the dogma of Mormonism; nor was it the principles of liberal theology; it was simply the common error that we who are saved by trusting Jesus Christ are kept by keeping works of the law.

Still today, this idea that we are saved solely by grace and kept by trusting in works is still prevalent in churches today. It is possible that one who is reading this post is seething with anger, hating every word I write. It could be that someone reading this post is a staunch advocate of “staying saved” by keeping commandments. If you are that person, I have questions for you, and I would love for you to email me, and answer these questions.

Question 1 – What percentage of your faith is in Jesus Christ and what percentage is in law-keeping?
If 100% of your faith is in Jesus Christ, and you are trusting solely in Him, why do you preach that keeping our salvation requires us to keep laws and commandments? YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. Either all your faith is in Christ, or it is not. If your salvation depends upon keeping commandments, at least some of your faith is in WORKS. I am asking – what percentage is in Christ; and what percentage is in law-keeping?

Now, I have heard preachers get up and preach this way – “If you’re going to ‘stay saved,’ you must…” then they preach a list. Then, if you were to corner these preachers after church, they would make it clear – “Oh, I don’t believe that we are kept by works…I believe we must keep our faith in Christ…I just believe that if we really have our faith in Christ, good works will follow.” WHOA! Wait a minute! That’s an entirely different message than what was preached from the pulpit! If you believe that we are both saved and kept by trusting Christ, then don’t get up and preach that we must keep a list of works in order to “stay saved!” YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. So, answer me. How much of your faith is in Christ and how much of your faith is in keeping laws and commandments? As for me, 100% of my faith is in Jesus Christ, and 0% is in the keeping of laws and commandments. How about you?

Question 2 – If part of your faith is in Christ and part of it is in law-keeping, what does Romans 11:5, 6 mean?
Romans 11:5, 6 reads this way – “Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.”

These verses refer to our election, or the method by which God chooses us. We are chosen by God not by works (our doings), but by grace (God’s doings). Verse 6 makes it clear – if we are chosen by grace, there is no working (on our part) involved. If we are chosen by works, then God has nothing to do with it. This passage makes it plain that you cannot split your faith between Christ and law-keeping. You cannot be saved by grace at the altar, then by works when you get up. It is either all God’s doing, and we put our faith in Him; or it is all our doing, and we put our faith in works. If I am reading these verses wrong, educate me. Answer the question clearly – what does Romans 11:5, 6 mean?

Question 3 – If works can’t get you saved, how can works keep you saved?
When you went to the altar and asked the Lord to save you, you were resting solely upon Jesus Christ and His work on Calvary. You knew that all of your works were powerless and could not save you. But when you got up from the altar – those powerless, dead works of law-keeping suddenly have power! The same works that you would not trust at the altar, you now trust to keep you saved. Those works couldn’t give you life in Christ; but now they can sustain life in Christ. I don’t understand. Help me. Laws that never could give salvation can maintain salvation. How is this possible? If works can’t get you saved, how can works keep you saved?

Question 4 – Why is Jesus Christ and His work on the cross not good enough for you?
If you are preaching that children of God must keep laws in order to “stay saved,” the work of Christ is insufficient for you, and I want to know why.

You should note that the work that Jesus did – His death, burial, and resurrection – is extremely pleasing to the Father.

Isaiah 53:10 – “Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.”

Matthew 3:17 and Matthew 17:5 – “…This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

When Jesus died on the cross, He cried out, “It is finished.” If it is finished, why do you add to it? Why is your message, “Trust the Lord for salvation, but after you’re saved, keep a list of commandments?”

In the book of Galatians, twice Paul emphasized the fact that Christ GAVE HIMSELF.

Galatians 1:4 – “Who GAVE HIMSELF for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present, evil world.”

Galatians 2:20 – “I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live: yet not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I now live, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and GAVE HIMSELF for me.”

When Christ GAVE HIMSELF, He gave His ALL. How can you have a silly opinion that Christ’s all is not enough to save us, or keep us saved? How can you tell anyone that what Christ did is enough to get us saved, but if we’re going to “stay saved,” we must keep commandments?

Christ’s giving of His all is so pleasing to the Father. I do not understand how you can be so displeased with Christ that you require law-keeping to “stay saved.” I look forward to your answer to this question.

Question 5 – If you were in the Philippian jail, and the jailer asked, “What must I do to be saved?” what would your response be?
You say, “Oh, I would say, ‘Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.’” Of course you say that, because it’s the right answer. But, why don’t you say that when you tell someone how to be saved? Why do you tell people, that, in order to “stay saved,” it is going to take law-keeping? If you believe in keeping laws to “stay saved,” you disagree with Paul’s message of salvation to the Philippian jailer – “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Question 6 – Why are you so eager to put us under the law of Moses?
I have elaborated on this in the previous post, so I will not expound much on it. However, it does demand an answer. Galatians 3:10; Galatians 5:3; and James 2:10 all teach plainly that if you are under ANY of the law of Moses, you are under ALL of it. Understanding this, why would you want to subject yourself to such bondage? The entire nation of Israel was under the law for 1,500 years, and not a single individual could ever keep it. And then, we have preachers, who want to strap that law to everyone with whom they come in contact. Everyone in Israel who tried to carry the law of Moses died under its weight. So, why are you so bound and determined to put us under the law of Moses?

Question 7 – If you believe that Christians are kept saved by keeping laws and commandments, how do you explain Galatians 2:16; Galatians 2:19; Galatians 2:21; Galatians 3:11; Acts 13:39; Romans 3:20; Romans 3:28; Ephesians 2:8, 9; and Titus 3:5?
All of these verses contradict the very thought of justification (salvation) being a result of law-keeping or works of any kind. You cannot ignore these verses. If you are kept by keeping laws, then I want to know what each of these verses mean. You owe an explanation here!

Question 8 – Why do you sing songs that emphasize faith in Christ alone if you do not believe them?
If you believe that we are kept by keeping commandments, there are a host of gospel songs you should never sing again. I will mention only a few.

Amazing Grace – The third verse states, “Through many dangers, toils, and snares I have already come! ‘Tis grace that brought me safe thus far and grace shall lead me home.” If you believe that works will lead you home, then sing it that way! Quit singing a song you do not believe!

Nothing but the Blood – The third verse reads this way – “Nothing can for sin atone, Nothing but the blood of Jesus! Naught of good that I have done, Nothing but the blood of Jesus!” If you believe that good works keep you saved, then you do have faith in “good that you have done.” You do not believe this song, so leave it alone!

The Solid Rock – The first verse reads, “My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but WHOLLY lean on Jesus’ name.” Either lean wholly on Christ or quit singing the song.

Jesus Paid it All – The title is self-explanatory. If you do not believe that the work of Christ pays for your sins in full, throw this song out.

Christ is All I Need – You do not believe it if you need works to maintain your salvation.

‘Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus – The second verse says, “O, how sweet to trust in Jesus, Just to trust His cleansing blood, Just in simple faith to plunge me ‘Neath the healing, cleansing flood.” The writer forgot to add that we are trusting in commandments as well. If you sing this song and do not believe that it’s all in Jesus, you are singing a lie.

If you believe that works keep you saved, and you sing these songs, I want to know why you sing lies. I look forward to your answer.

Conclusion
If the reader believes that keeping commandments is keeping you saved, I sincerely encourage you to email me, answering these questions. These questions are serious, not sarcastic. I genuinely want to know how you deal with these questions if all your faith is not in Christ. I look forward to hearing from the one who believes that we are kept by works.