Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On Christ, the Solid Rock I Stand - Part 2

At times, I lie awake at night. Not worrying, but overwhelmed. Overwhelmed by the absolute best plan I have ever witnessed. Thinking on God's great plan of salvation. As stated in my previous post, I do not worry about the salvation God has richly bestowed upon me. Here's more reasons why:

Salvation Is God's Work; Not Mine
Ephesians 2:8, 9 - "For by grace are ye saved, through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Titus 3:5 - "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost."

Romans 3:20 - "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin."

Galatians 2:16 - "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

These verses make it clear that salvation is not achieved by works of man. A prominent ideology that I have encountered the past several years states that Jesus will save us, but if we're going to "stay saved," we have to...do this...do that...meet this requirement...meet that requirement...and so on. To put it simply, they preach that salvation is by God's grace at the altar, it is His doing initially, but it is our own doings that keep us saved. This is faulty, as presented by the Apostle Paul in Romans 11:5, 6, where he speaks of our election (God Almighty choosing us to be saved) - "Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."

Here, Paul makes it very clear that our election to salvation is either God's doing by His grace, or our doing by our works - IT IS NOT BY BOTH. Your salvation is either by grace or by works - it is NEVER by both. It is not by grace at the altar and by works when you get up. No, sir! Now, I made up my mind a long time ago that if I am saved, God will have to do the saving! I have turned the saving of my soul, as well as the keeping of my soul over to Him! Now, if salvation were my doing, I would lose much sleep wondering if I had done enough to keep myself saved. But since it is Christ's doing, I know positively that Christ's sacrifice is sufficient to save and to keep me. The Father is well pleased with the work of Jesus Christ on the cross for our salvation.

I am Kept by the Power of God
I Peter 1:3-5 - "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

"Kept by the power of God!" I understand that there are many things about God that I do not know. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, by any means. But if there's anything about God about which I am positive, I am sure that God has power. God spoke this world into existence. He tells the oceans where to stop. He controls the winds and waves. He created the earth with such order and design. He never becomes weak or tired. He was here before anything of this world existed, and He'll be here when the world passes away! God has power! And this power is the force that is keeping me saved! You tell me how much power God has, and I'll tell you how "kept" I am! In I Peter 4:19, Peters admonishes those who suffer according to the will of God to "commit the keeping of their souls to him!" That is exactly what I have done. As for this business of "staying saved," I have turned it completely to Him. If He can keep me, I'll be just fine. If He fails to keep me, I'm lost eternally.

I'll lose no sleep tonight worrying about my salvation! Paul said in II Timothy 1:12 - "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." If I'll commit it, He'll keep it. And, long ago, I committed my soul into the hands of Jesus Christ. He is my Saviour and Keeper!

MORE TO COME...