Saturday, November 13, 2010

Do Labels Intimidate You?

Part of living as a Christian includes taking a stand for the right and against the wrong. In the Bible, we have examples of God’s people taking a stand for truth, even when their lives were at stake. In our day, when one takes a stand for truth, opponents of this individual will label him. The purpose of labels is to silence the one taking a stand. Many times, sad to say, it works. But let me clear. You can call me whatever name you wish. You can attach whatever label upon me that suits your fancy. But after you attach the label, truth will still be truth, and lies will still be lies. I will look at a few labels used by opponents of truth.

The “Intolerant” and “Judgmental” Labels
The first labels I will mention are used primarily by the unsaved. Often, they are aimed at conservatives. These labels are pulled out often in a conversation between a liberal and a conservative. At some point, the liberal in the conversation will refer to the conservative as being “intolerant,” or “judgmental.”

In looking at the “intolerant” label, let me say that this label, used by liberals, is laughable. I have a Facebook account. I had a few friends that are liberal. I visited their pages only to find out I was no longer their Facebook friend! I never booted them off of my friend list; but rather the “tolerant” liberals booted me off theirs! Another point worth discussing here is that when I mention my beliefs to “tolerant” liberals, they are intolerant! That’s right; those who pull out the “intolerant” label are extremely intolerant to those who disagree with them! Make no mistake about it; liberals absolutely HATE us! They accuse conservatives of being filled with hate, but they abhor us! The bottom line is this – I am resolved to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, revealing to this world the errors of their sinful ways. I preach the Bible, and make known to the sinner his sins that are offensive to God Almighty. If this makes me “intolerant,” then go tell the world that I am intolerant. Go ahead. Tell them. It will not silence me.

What about the “judgmental” label? The ironic element concerning this hypocritical label is stated simply – those who call me judgmental…are judging me! Furthermore, I do not deny being judgmental. Let me make this clear – I judge! I make judgments. For every Bible verse that you find that forbids judging, I can show you ten that command judging! Everyone who is wise makes judgments. A counsellor is good when when he shows good judgment. A good parent is judgmental; teaching their kids what is right, as well as what is wrong. An idiotic parent is one who refuses to correct their children, lest they show some kind of judgment. When your teenager is in a relationship that may result in marriage, you will hope that you taught them principles of making sound JUDGMENTS!

The same Bible that says, “Judge not” says “Judge righteous judgment.” It says, “Try [or, put on trial] the spirits.” It says, “He that is spiritual judgeth all things.” It says further, “Know ye not that we shall judge angels? How much more things that pertain to this life?” So, there are times when we are not to make judgments; but there are far more times when we are commanded to make judgments. Therefore, I am unashamedly judgmental. I preach what is right and point my finger at what is wrong. If that makes me judgmental, then mark me down as being judgmental. It does not scare or intimidate me.

The “Easy-Believism” Label
At this time, we will discuss a label used by some within the church. As I have written in several blog posts, I am convinced that salvation is by grace, through faith. I preach that one must “believe on the Lord Jesus Christ” to be saved. I do not believe in being saved or kept by works. Because I believe this, some label me as believing in “easy-believism.” Since the term “easy-believism” is not in the Bible, you must define it before I determine whether I believe it or not. If you define “easy-believism” as “believing in the existence of God to be saved,” then I do NOT believe in “easy-believism.” The devils have sense enough to believe in God’s existence, but they are not saved. If you define the term as meaning, “believing that Jesus died on the cross in order to be saved,” then I do NOT believe in “easy-believism.”

However, if you define “easy-believism” as meaning “getting saved by believing [trusting, depending, relying upon] Jesus Christ and His work on Calvary, and by nothing else,” then YES, I believe in “easy-believism.” Notice, I do not use the term, “easy-believism” because it is not a Biblical term. The truth is, what you are calling “easy-believism” is not easy. It is simple enough to depend solely on the finished work of Christ for salvation, but man has something in him that wants to be religious. Man desires to keep rules, regulations, or standards to be saved. It is easier for most people to put some form of works, standards, sacraments, or something else with their faith in Jesus Christ to be saved. But none of those things save anyone. It is depending solely on Jesus Christ. He alone is the Saviour and the Keeper of our souls. If you think that applying the “easy-believism” label to me will cause me to back down from the Bible truth that salvation is not by works, you are dead wrong! I will preach Bible salvation! If you desire to do so, go tell the world that I believe in “easy-believism.”

The “Legalism” and “Lordship Salvation” Labels
Let me discuss this “legalism” label first. I am a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The gospel is the good news of Jesus Christ, that man need not die because of his sins. But, the first step in preaching the gospel is not declaring the good news; it is rather revealing the bad news, the news that mankind is sinful and needs a Saviour. The book of Romans, the great discourse on salvation, gives the clearest presentation of salvation. In Romans 10, Paul tells explicitly how to be saved. However, in the first three chapters of the epistle, Paul defines sin in detail. Paul declares in chapter one that the heathen are guilty of sin; in chapter two that the hypocrite is guilty of sin; and in chapter three that the Hebrew is guilty of sin. The conclusion of these three chapters is summed up in Romans 3:23, stating, “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” The truth is, we must get them lost before we can get them saved!

As a result of this need of showing people their lost estate, I preach against their sin. When I do so, someone always seem to label me as a “legalist.” Again, since the word, “legalism” is not a Biblical term, you will need to define it before I acknowledge whether or not I fit the label. If you define the term “legalism” as meaning “the teaching that keeping laws or commandments is necessary to be saved,” then I have made it very clear that I do not believe in such a teaching. However, if you define the term “legalism” as “teaching that there is a right or wrong way to live,” then yes, I am a legalist. The fact of the matter is that I am not a legalist, as I understand the actual definition of the word. However, when I preach against sin, you can label me a legalist, but it will change nothing. Sin will still be sin, and I will still declare it!

As for the “Lordship salvation” label, some attach this to me when I preach that genuine salvation results in a change of heart, mind, and life. I preach that if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature. I preach that a man’s mind is renewed at the time of conversion, having the laws of God written in his heart and mind. A saved person has a desire to please his Lord. According to Romans 6, if you are genuinely saved, you are the servant of God, obeying God to live a life of righteousness. If you have a genuine salvation experience, you are dead to the law. This makes you free from sin, servants to God; you have your fruit unto holiness and everlasting life, as Romans 6:22 states. I do not preach that Lordship leads to salvation; but I do preach that salvation leads to Lordship. So, do I believe in “Lordship salvation?” Again, that would depend on how you define the term, since it is not a Biblical term. If “Lordship salvation” means that a person obeys the commandments of the Bible in order to be saved, or “stay saved,” then I am absolutely opposed to “Lordship salvation.” If “Lordship salvation” means that a person who has been saved by the grace of God lives his life as a servant to his Lord, then yes, I believe in “Lordship salvation.” I am not going to cease to preach that God’s people live a holy, pure, clean life just because someone labels me as believing in “Lordship Salvation.” Label me whatever you choose. Salvation is by grace through faith. Just as true is the fact that salvation results in being dead to the law that we might live unto God. The Christian who has truly been regenerated lives to please and glorify God.

We must resolve to present the truth of the gospel to this lost and dying world. When they label us, remember that their purpose is to silence us. We must not be silent. Call me intolerant or judgmental, and I will still preach that right is right and wrong is wrong. Accuse me of believing in “easy-believism” and I will continue to preach that salvation is by trusting His work, and is attained or maintained by no work of ours. Accuse me of being a legalist or believing in “Lordship salvation,” and I will still preach that salvation that is by the grace of God results in a holy life. Labels do not intimidate or silence me. Take those labels somewhere else; they’ll not work with me!