Friday, November 12, 2010

No Life without Christ

John 10:10 - "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

John 20:31 - "But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name."

In our confused world in which we live, there are ongoing debates concerning the actuality of life on other planets, in other solar systems, or anywhere else in the universe for that matter. However, the truth is, many who inhabit this planet are without life. Those within the realm of the educated are trying to determine whether there is life beyond this one; that is, whether a person who closes their eyes in death will open them elsewhere. But the truth is, those who do not know Jesus Christ do not possess life before death; let alone after death. Please understand, I am not saying that those who do not know Christ have nothing to live for; I am saying that they do not live at all. Those who "live it up" are the most miserable people in the world. I have never met a non-Christian who was happy. Atheists and infidels present to the world a prime example of misery. Those who have the most possessions often enjoy those possessions the least. I have spoken with Muslims, and I have never seen a Muslim smile or laugh (except on 9/11). I was preaching a few years ago in Columbus, Ohio. The building we were using for services was also occupied by Muslims. I saw Muslims pray and read the Koran. But throughout the duration of our meeting in that place, I never heard a Muslim sing. Our services were filled with heartfelt, sincere singing. Our services were overlaid with joy, gladness, and melodies of praise to the One and Only King of kings and Lord of lords, who lifted us out of the horrible pit and set our feet upon the Rock of Ages. But in the section of the facilities occupied by our Muslim friends, not a single note was even hummed. If they sung at all, we Christians did not hear it. And this is understandable. I do not expect to hear a song from a people who have nothing about which to sing! Christians sing because we have within us a well of water springing up into everlasting LIFE! Non-Christians know nothing of life or its joy. But the good news is that Jesus Christ came to give life, and life more abundantly.

Eternal Life
One characteristic of the life of a Christian is that he has eternal life. You may ask, "What is eternal life?" Eternal life is not heaven. Eternal life is not something I hope to attain. Eternal life is rather life that I have right now. Jesus defines eternal life explicitly in His High-Priestly prayer to the Father in John 17:3 - "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." Eternal life is defined this way - "...that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent." Eternal life is not knowing about God; it is knowing God personally. It is not a rulebook; it is a relationship.

Our Life is "Unto God"
Galatians 2:19 states, "For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God." This idea of "living unto God" speaks of our life as a sacrifice, or an offering. In the Old Testament, an animal was slain and offered to God as a sacrifice. Only the best animals that could be found were used. No one who had a heart to please God would offer a crippled animal, or a sickly animal, or a weak animal. This would be an insult! But when I see so many profess Christ today who offer a pitiful, sickly, weak, sinful, abominable life to God as some sort of service, it is enough to gag a maggot! Romans 12:1 tells us how to give our life as an offering - "...present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." When we present our bodies as holy sacrifices to Him, we are living "unto man," "unto our church," "unto our children," or "unto" anything else. We are living "unto God." Our goal is to please Him only. Pleasing people is not the goal. Pleasing family is not the objective. Pleasing our church is not our desire. I do not live a certain way because my pastor preaches it; I live a certain way UNTO GOD.

Our Life is "By Faith"
The Bible says in multiple places, that the just, or justified, shall live BY FAITH. We do not live by law, by commandments, or by any rulebook of the Pharisees; we live by faith. This simply means that we have placed our faith in Jesus Christ alone to be saved; and we continue in that same faith. I was saved in 1994. Now, sixteen years later, I am still clinging to the cross. I still have no confidence in the flesh. I still have no confidence in man's creeds, religions, and rules. I still have no confidence in keeping commandments.

Galatians 2:20 describes the Christian life which is by faith - "I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live: yet not I, but Christ liveth in me. And the life which I now live in the flesh, I live BY THE FAITH of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Two facts are evident here. First, if we live by faith, it is Christ who lives in us. There are those who hate this statement. They have convinced themselves that, in their flesh, they are living sinless and holy. They do not understand the scriptures, and they are not preachers of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Christian life is not me doing anything. It is about me being dead, and letting Jesus live in me. No man knows what life is until they die out to their flesh and let Jesus live in them. This is life!

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life; and this life was given to us when He died upon the rugged cross of Calvary!